Wednesday, August 28, 2013

{Tutorial} Indian Corn Fall Wreath


Lets be honest, September is pretty much Fall around here. 
I'm trying my hardest to hold out for a few more weeks, but with all the Fall Scents coming out and a few chilly days here and there I'm already in Fall mode.

The hubs and I are also going to an Apple Festival at Jackson's Orchard this weekend, and after that I'm pulling out all the tubs and getting to decorating! 

This is the first tutorial of the Fall season, and I think it turned out beautifully!

You will need:

14" Straw Wreath Form
Indian Corn
Raffia [I used both orange and natural]
Glue Gun
Natural Burlap Ribbon
Orange Burlap Ribbon


Remember my Pier One Fall haul
These adorable gem covered Indian Corn pieces are finally getting some Fall love.
And they were a steal at $.98/each!
 

Directions:

Start by gluing burlap ribbon to the back of the wreath.
Wrap it around making sure to overlap pieces so no straw can show through
Tip: Don't remove plastic covering on straw wreath forms.
It minimizes mess and makes it so much easier to work with.


Next take pieces of Indian corn and glue them around the wreath form. 
I started at the top and worked my way down both sides, trying to make it as symmetrical as possible.

Voila! 

I left a little space at the top to place the bow and make hanging on the door easier.


At this point, I thought it needed a little more oomph so I decided to add some raffia to imitate the husks being pulled back on the corn.

I took the raffia, alternating colors and gluing between the pieces of corn. 


Hobby Lobby has orange burlap ribbon that I have been hoarding bought a few rolls of.
I used it to make a bow and glued on top of the wreath.


Next, I trimmed the raffia to make it a little more uniform and added a gem to the bow to tie together the gems on the corn.

And here's the final look!



Breakdown:

Wreath form-- $2 @ Hobby Lobby
Gem Indian Corn-- $3.92 @ Pier One
Burlap--$3 @ Hobby Lobby
All other items I had on hand. 

Total Cost:

$8.92



Linking up to:

13 comments:

  1. I love this wreath, so pretty and colorful. Shucks I was just at HL yesterday and they have ribbon, even the burlap ribbon 1/2 off. I can't buy things like that unless it's on sale or I have a coupon.
    Think maybe I need to go to HL again this weekend, look for the corn. The corn you have is so pretty, cheerful. It's getting so the grocery stores charge too much for the Indian corn, not as pretty as yours either. I had to make myself stay out of Pier One or I'd spend the mtg. money, too much awesome stuff in that place, lol. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous wreath! I love the big orange bow! Great fall colors!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this so so much! I saw something similar in a magazine and I have wanted to make it ever since! I was going to try using real Indian corn but none of the stores here have it yet. Ill have to look for the kind you used! Love it!

    I would love for you to share this post (and any others!) at my Life of the Party link up. It just opened! Im going to poke around your site a little more.
    http://thegrantlife.com/life-party-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for linking up to the Life of the Party! Just a quick note to say Im going to feature this tomorrow in a fall inspired roundup!

      Delete
    2. Goodness Gracious I'm so excited!! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. What a great fall wreath! I'd love for you to share it at my Twirl & Take a Bow Party at www.houseontheway.com. Have a great weekend.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job on this! Come link up with us at Craft Frenzy Friday at www.craftdictator.com!! The link up is open until Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute wreath! I love fall :) Great finding you on the Blog Hop Social Linky :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! Love it! Thanks so much for linking up!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am such a fan of Indian Corn. I grew up with it and love to use it in decorations. I also like to eat it. Yeah, you can eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful; I love that you used indian corn! Such great Fall colors too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...