Monday, September 2, 2013

{Tutorial} Washi Covered Coasters



Sometimes a great idea starts swirling around in my head the moment I see an item. 
I knew exactly what I wanted when i saw these beauts back in the Early Spring


They were the cutest darn things,
 and I knew I could use them to pull in some colors from the living room.
But how?
Paint..scrapbook paper..then it hit me!

Washi Tape

I love this stuff and have created quite the collection.
I got 90% of it from Pick Your Plum, and the rest from The Plaid Barn 


You will need:

Coasters
Washi Tape
Stickers, Craft Cutter, or Scrapbook Paper to make Monogram
Modge Podge
Acrylic Sealer
Non-Stick Shelf Liner
Glue Gun

Directions: 

Start by choosing your tape.
Since there are four coasters, I chose 4 different tapes and mix and matched them all.  


After making the pattern with the tape, I cut along the edge trying to keep the tape even with the top.

3 sets ready to be monogrammed.



I used the Silhouette software to make the monograms, and cut it out with vinyl.
  

Next, modge podge the tops of the coasters to glue them down and seal them together.


Since the ceramic coasters were going to be sitting directly on someone's nice furniture, I decided to add some shelf liner to the bottom to create grip and protect the furniture.
 
I used my Silhouette to cut out circles

 I then glued them onto the bottom of the coaster with my handy dandy glue gun.


 Once the modge podge is completely dry, it's time to spray with sealer.
Since the coasters will most likely be in contact with water, they needed to be sprayed with a clear acrylic sealer to make them waterproof.
Modge Podge is a water-based sealer, so any contact with liquid will undo all your hard work!
Please please take the time to do this step.




And all done!
I must have been excited to send these to their recipients, because I didn't bother to take a completed project picture. Sheesh!

But you get the idea.

Thanks for stopping by!
 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...